Senior Manager- Human Resources
Current as of: March 21, 2019
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Daryl Henry
Senior Manager, Talent and Engagement
Out client, AFSC, is looking for a Senior Manager, Talent and Engagement to provide strategic leadership, accountability and delivery for the Human Resources, Occupational Health & Safety, and Corporate Learning divisions of this organization. Your role will be to attract, retain and motivate a qualified workforce as well as to build, monitor and enhance the corporate culture.
As a member of the Senior Management team you will provides leadership and direction to the corporation on issues relating to Human Resource, Corporate Culture and Engagement, to ensure the development and implementation of HR policies support AFSC’s goals and objectives.
Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) is a unique financial services organization that provides producers, agribusinesses and other small businesses loans, crop insurance and farm income disaster assistance. AFSC has grown into a diverse corporation with several core business areas, including crop insurance, livestock price insurance, farm loans, commercial loans and farm income disaster assistance. AFSC strives to provide leading, innovative, client-focused financial and risk management solutions to grow agriculture in Alberta.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes strategies for the development of comprehensive and innovative human resources and professional development programs to support the organization’s strategic direction
- Evaluates the performance of the human resources function against desired outcomes
- Creates and manages human resources budget taking into consideration overall organizational needs
- Acts as the primary HR relationship manager and consultant to the senior management team. Determines HR best practices and develops implementation strategy to support key management issues as well as ensure the HR strategy is aligned with business strategy. Directs and coaches executives in dealing with discrete human resources issues/functions.
Recruitment & Selection
- Manages recruitment and selection activities of the organization (including offers, commencement salaries and benefits, relocation packages)
- Manages employee redeployment, position abolishment and terminations to ensure proper procedures are followed thereby mitigating potential legal actions.
- Determines Total Rewards Philosophy and ensures compliance of Total Rewards practices with the philosophy.
- Ensures appropriate (leading practice) compensation practices are utilized within the Corporation
- Conducts job review and provides recommendations to ELT on classification levels for management positions
- Directs investigation, approves and recommends solutions to classification and organizational restructuring issues.
Organizational Learning, Training and Development
- Manages the development and implementation of human resource development programs such as career and succession planning
- Manages the workforce planning requirements and needs of the Corporation.
- Manages the administration of in-house and outside organization sponsored training programs for the Corporation
- Evaluates training and development programs to ensure that corporate needs are being met
- Administers educational leave and makes decisions on level of course subsidization.
- Manages corporate performance management including the development and maintenance of corporate Performance Appraisal systems
- Monitors performance management processes to ensure consistency throughout the Corporation and provides guidance to management in correcting performance issues.
- Oversees the administration of benefits (salary, wage, and adjusting staff) for the organization ensuring all CRA, Employment Standards and Human Rights Legislations are adhered to
- Manages the annual review of all employee benefits to ensure needs of employees are met and programs continue to be cost effective
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with external service providers
- Working closely with external consulting group, participate in the negotiations and approval of all benefit contract renewals.
- Acts as an escalation point on disciplinary action and resulting issues and/or terminations.
- Oversees and advises on workplace investigations.
- Conducts workplace investigations as necessary.
- Consults with external legal counsel on escalated employee relations matters.
- Ensures AFSC programs, policies and procedures support AFSC culture including as a partner, provider and employer of choice and the continued development of a performance culture
- Manages corporate culture ensuring decisions, programs, policies and procedures will not damage culture
- Develop and implement strategies to mold culture to fit AFSC’s envisioning process, including recruitment process designed to hire for cultural fit.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required
- Human Resources Designation (CPHR or IPMA);
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible function management experience in Human Resources or Organizational Development.
- Proactive in continued professional and personal skill development is an ongoing expectation.
- Requires excellent knowledge of: Alberta Employment Standards, Canada Revenue Agency Regulations (relating to leaves of absence), Canadian Human Rights Legislation, Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Knowledge of benefits and disability management (contract negotiations and renewals; short and long term disability; WCB; return to work programs)
- Knowledge of Total Rewards methodology and practices
- Up to date knowledge of employment law.
- Strategic planning skills/perspective
- Strong Problem identification and resolution skills
- Persuasive presentation and effective facilitation skill
- Appreciation for emerging issues and best practices in Talent and Engagement, OH&S, and Total Rewards
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to handle confidential information and material appropriately
- Highly organized and flexible
- Has capacity to handle difficult concurrent assignments
- Ability to provide insight and recommend organizational structure, and workforce planning
Ability to anticipate outcomes and consequences; evaluate risk and recommend course of action that considers impact to employee as well as economic and legal implications for the company
- Director level competitive salary with comprehensive benefits (including health, dental, optical).
- A safe working environment.
- Participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
- A health spending account.
Working with AFSC, you will enjoy: opportunities for advancement, staff recognition programs, flexible working arrangements, an earned time off program, training and professional development opportunities.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com We thank all applicants for their interest however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.