National Tax Manager
Current as of: October 11, 2018
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Daryl Henry
Our client, a leader in the Tax Consulting industry to Small and Farming businesses across Canada is seeking a National Tax Manager to join the Calgary team. In this role, your focus will be to advise the internal advisors on tax compliance for Income Tax and GST/HST. Working closely with the internal Marketing and Management team you will be responsible for communicating all new and relevant information for tax purposes to the internal organization. You will also be the main point of contact for CRA inquires and updates to tax laws. Work is performed independently without direct supervision or instruction, requiring cross functional and interdepartmental interactions on a daily basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the accuracy, compliance and integrity of the Income Tax and GST/HST Compliance System for the company’s client products.
- Ensure the accuracy, compliance and integrity of the AgriStability and AgriInvest (ASAI) agricultural risk management programs (RMP).
- Provide authoritative interpretation and analysis of latest developments (legislative, regulatory, administrative, and judicial) in tax law and government programs affecting client services, products, staff training tools
- Apprise staff (Membership Matters, “Amendments” documents, etc.); act as the point-of-first-contact for branch queries/alerts in respect to new developments impacting client services whether by sector, regionally or nationally.
- Act as the “go to” senior tax technical resource for Member tax issues, problem solving, research, and technical support analysis for management, branch and systems group staff, as well as for the Financial and Estate Planning group on an “as needed, as requested” basis.
- Collaborate with the Marketing department to research and develop copy for marketing and promotional items (print and website), trade publication columns and contribute and co-edit articles (Member Advisor, Member Express, Membership Matters, Budget Bulletins, and website content).
- Coordinate and/or participate in other systems and non-systems special projects and initiatives as assigned by management.
- Act as the company’s Privacy Compliance Officer – Ensure business practices are compliant with federal (PIPEDA) and provincial privacy protection laws for clients, respond to “privacy” information queries or complaints from clients, keep up-to-date on privacy legislation (federal and provincial) and case rulings.
- Other duties, relevant to the position, may be assigned as required
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in tax and accounting for small business
- A CPA designation required
- CPA In Depth tax course or equivalent experience a strong asset
- A background in compliance and quality assurance
- Experience leading and influencing a team
- Public practice or industry experience would be an asset e.g. CRA, tax analyst, tax planner, tax planning in oil and gas, business analyst for tax preparation software.
- A high level of technical knowledge pertaining to Accounting and Canadian Tax
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an expert listener
- Strong leadership and delegation skills
- An influential leadership style: the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Strong researching and problem-solving skills
- Strong relationship building/diplomacy skills with colleagues, clients and third parties
- Strong analytical, organizational and prioritizing skills
- Communicates complex information to stakeholders in a way that is easy for them to understand; educating and adding value.