Program Manager – Health Services Division
Current as of: August 10, 2017
Location/City: Edmonton, Alberta
Region: Edmonton Area
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Sandy Jacobson
THE ORGANIZATION Canterbury Foundation
- Encourage independence and promote quality living,
- Provide a home where seniors experience peace of mind and feel like family,
- Offer a range of quality services and programs to meet physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs of seniors.
Promise of home: seniors living in a loving, faith-based community.
As a platform for growth within the Health Services department, this Program Manager role provides the opportunity to shape the uniqueness of care models and approaches to nursing within this senior’s living facility. The Canterbury Foundation is seeking an ambitious, motivated, and influential Registered Nurse that will not only be relied upon for decision making, but for encouraging and delivering service excellence. The Program Manger will sustain a continuous quality improvement mindset, and will be responsible for the execution of the health services strategy, which promotes the dignity, independence, self-determination, privacy and choice of seniors.
Reports to: Director of Health Services
- Oversees the delivery of care related services identified in the residents’ care plans (Home Care or Private Care) by delegating and communicating verbal and written expectations to caregivers. Collaborates with resident, representatives, staff and Home Care when determining the need for additional services or if no longer appropriate for Canterbury facilities.
- Oversees complete, accurate documentation of resident charts and reports in compliance with legal and funded care requirements.
- Maintains nursing guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Maintains nursing operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures.
- Assures quality of care by developing and interpreting resident and family centered care philosophies and standards of care;
- Enforcing adherence to CARNA practice requirements, CCHS and to other governing agency regulations; measuring health outcomes against standards; making or recommending adjustments.
- Maintains nursing staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training nurses and auxiliary staff.
- Completes resident care requirements by scheduling and assigning nursing and staff.
- Coaches, councils and disciplines employees; planning, monitoring, and conducts performance appraisals.
- Protects residents and employees by developing and interpreting infection-control policies and protocols; enforcing medication administration, storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of information.
- Maintains documentation of resident care services by auditing resident and department records.
- Achieves financial objectives by assisting in the preparation of an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Ensures preventative maintenance of medical equipment.
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship with external care providers by communicating information and building rapport.
- Leads continuous quality improvement projects within the department.
- Approves schedule of nursing staff and approves all leave of absence requests.
- Implements strategies to reduce absenteeism.
- Audits the Home Care billing process and builds a relationship with AHS and Home Care managers.
- Works with the dietary department to ensure health requirements related to food consumption are met.
- Collaborates in multi-disciplinary approach to ensure social engagement and emotional well-being.
- Promotes and upholds the ethical framework used in Canterbury.
- Promotes a culture of safe work practices and wellness for employees.
- Leads investigations that relate to resident concerns and recommends solutions.
- Leads in the recruitment and retention of high caliber staff.
- Sets professional development plans to assist employees to reach their full potential through the performance management process.
- Ensures the team delivers the highest standard of departmental, cross departmental and cross Foundation teamwork and customer service.
- Ensures optimal deployment of resources to achieve business goals.
- Leads by example during times of change and uncertainty.
- Reinforces team approach on internal initiatives.
- Creates work plans to support the corporate priorities and the Director of Health Services.
- Completes annual performance reviews for team members to support growth and development.
SERVICE EXCELLENCE & COMMUNICATION:
- Ensures consistent resident care service delivery in a consultative and solutions-based and best practice capacity to residents.
- Effectively communicates relevant information to Director of Health Services.
- Serves as liaison between residents and physicians, home health care, pharmacies and ancillary services
- Participates in internal committees which will affect Canterbury Foundations programs and services from the clinical and/or resident wellness perspective.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a resident centred care philosophy.
- Special projects as assigned by the Director of Health Services.
- Executes departmental strategies with direction and guidance.
- In association with management colleagues, assists in the development and the implementation of corporate policies and procedures.
- Bachelor degree in Nursing, Masters would be considered an asset
- Licensed with CARNA
- Minimum 3 years experience and demonstrated success in a continuing care role
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional written and oral skills.
- Cultivates relationships
- Motivates others
- Excellent computer literacy and knowledge of database management.
- Positive attitude, creative, flexible, proactive and works independently and within a team environment.
- Demonstrates a high level of initiative and leadership qualities.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Demonstrates good judgment
- Excellent supervisory skills
- Excellent listener
- Geriatric health care experience is a definite asset
FACTORS FOR SUCCESS
- Ambitious and motivated
- A critical thinker
- Influential and experiencing in starting new initiatives
- Knowledgeable around alternate care and nursing models
- Up for a challenge and interested in serving clients better
- Mindful of continuous quality improvement
- Easily relied upon and trusted for decision-making
For more information, please contact: