National Sales Manager
Current as of: February 13, 2018
Location/City: Edmonton, Alberta
Region: Edmonton Area
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Sandy Jacobson
Crust Craft Inc. is on the lookout for more of our powerful secret ingredient: motivated individuals working to be the absolute best at what they do. Our success has grown with our impressive staff, company culture of collaboration and strong focus on increasing customer success. Crust Craft is primed to invite a National Sales Manager who has well-established relationships with National and Regional Retail Grocery Chain Bakery and Deli Departments, to join our Executive Leadership team.
In addition to a pioneering spirit, this new role requires outstanding analytical and account planning skills and integrity, with a strong commitment to developing loyal customer relationships and trust. The National Sales Manager will also encourage new business by participating in sales prospecting, presentations and development of new product solutions for our current and new customers.
This entrepreneurial minded sales professional will be responsible for the creation and execution of our Retail, Bakery and Deli overall sales strategies. He or she will have a central role implementing an informed vision that supports Crust Craft growth as a major player in our industry.
The main purpose of this position is to strengthen our existing customer sales base and to build new client relationships. This person demonstrates excellent coordination and facilitation of business initiatives to drive increased sales. The National Sales Manager will demonstrate leadership through influence, effective resource management, follow-up, and superior communications skills. He or she will develop and implement incentive actions that motivate brokers to keep Crust Craft at top-of-mind. The National Sales Manager has potential to become an integral partner in the Executive Team and participate in the strategic direction of the company.
Crust Craft Inc. is a high capacity bakery serving retail and food service clients across Canada and moving into the US. Our mission is to “Bring a Higher Standard of Baking” to our Customers. We have established preliminary relationships in California and see exceptional opportunity in this market to fill our excess plant capacity. We have built our reputation as an industry leader and pride ourselves on bringing our clients customized high quality and unique products with superior profit margins. Crust Craft is a BRC certified food processor with an AA rating. We care about our environmental footprint and are continually implementing eco-friendly initiatives.
For more information, please visit our website at www.crustcraft.com
THE TYPE OF PERSON WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Seriously motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who finds personal satisfaction and joy in building a business. Proactively looks for and suggests improvements while remaining adaptable and versatile.
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily, listens as well as gives advice and respects the abilities of others.
- Positive Personality, Team builder style and a strong work ethic are integral to our Crust Craft Culture.
WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO
- Convey passion and enthusiasm for our company and our products to influence the opinion of the customer in a positive manner.
- Act with resiliency in the relentless hunt for new sales opportunities.
- Learn the nuances of Crust Craft business/operations and work to maximize business opportunities.
- Represent Crust Craft in a professional and credible manner that sets us apart from the competitors.
- Ensure that all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes are communicated and implemented within the team.
- Manage network of brokers/distributors across Canada and the pacific U.S., including establishing sales goals and measurement tools, as well as conducting ongoing account reviews.
- Work collaboratively with key accounts to understand their needs and communicate with Crust Craft R&D to develop and expand range of products.
- Maintain confidential information.
- Provide education and support to existing and new customers.
- Candidate must reside within daily commuting distance to Edmonton, AB or be willing to relocate to this area upon hire.
WHAT CRUST CRAFT WILL OFFER YOU IN RETURN
- An amazing career opportunity as part of an Executive leadership path in a rapidly growing food company.
- A competitive compensation package including a merit based bonus program.
- Eligible for tuition reimbursement, award recognition, merit, and comprehensive health benefit plan.
- Maintain relationships with key customer personnel including Buyers, Chains, Managers, and Senior Executives.
- Prepare comprehensive, personalized sales proposals, presentations, and specific programs designed to ensure sales, service, and support of accounts are achieved.
- Attend food shows, conferences and other industry related events to build relationships and identify new sales, market and product opportunities.
- Meet with key account buyers as needed to maintain and grow our business, present new items, and serve as liaison on potential new item development.
- Provide competitive market intelligence and feedback on products categories.
- Use independent judgement skills and decision-making skills to resolve situations while maintaining confidentiality.
A “DAY IN THE LIFE OF” THE NATIONAL SALES MANAGER
- Participate on the team by contributing feedback and ideas for improving the team’s ability to execute with excellence via sales presentations, broker management, processes and programs.
- Plan and execute customer priorities that include product rollouts, set objectives, marketing promotion campaigns, trade shows, etc.
- Collect market intelligence and synthesize to develop SWOT analyses (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) to drive our business.
- Ability to segment customer based on growth, market share, profitability and strategic relationships to optimize profit margins and effective resource use.
- Ensure the completion of daily and weekly reports that are both timely and accurate.
- Consult regularly via category & business reviews with the customer category managers & key account management personnel to affect business growth.
- Build strategic business relationships with key buying influencers within our customers.
- Maintain goodwill with assigned accounts, checking on customer satisfaction with our customer service and product quality.
- Assist customers with promotional activities or deviations from existing programs.
- Assist in keeping customer receivables current and conduct collection activities as needed.
- Present new products, sales programs and materials and sales ideas to customers.
- Monitor customer pricing and recommend pricing updates when appropriate.
- Solve customer problems in relation to our categories and products.
- Maintain updated customer information files.
- Communicate daily with broker team members on current projects and sales results.
Sales Planning & Execution
- Develop written Account Plans for each major account. Account Plans should include goals, timelines, and a risk/opportunity assessment in alignment with Company Goals.
- In concert with Executive Team, develop and present product and promotion recommendations to drive profitable growth.
- Take the lead in scheduling, planning, and inviting customers to Technical R & D sessions with the support of the R & D manager.
- Conduct in-market sales calls and build deep customer trust via “facilitative selling” (customer solutions exploration).
- Communicate product customization needs and requirements including specifications, volumes, timing, and requested pricing to Marketing and Sales leaders.
- Monitor and communicate competitive activities in region.
- Respond to common inquiries and complaints from customers and regulatory agencies.
- Manage routine supply concerns with customers.
- Communicate changes to Crust Craft policy, discontinued items, pricing actions, recalls/product to staff and customers.
- Respond to quality issues and deftly handle customer/consumer complaints.
- Conduct sales analytics using available insights to provide solutions for customer needs.
- Align customer strategies with CC strategic plan to build a collaborative business plan.
- Understand and execute marketing plan sales material.
- Work in conjunction with retail buyers to communicate sales priorities (new items/UPC changes/GS1) including retail broker partners.
- Meet assigned targets for profitable sales volume and strategic objectives. Regularly evaluate the profitability of existing accounts and make appropriate adjustments per Crust Craft Inc contractual obligations.
- Insure Crust Craft Inc and customer’s compliance with contracts and distribution agreements.
- Coordinate the involvement of company personnel, including support, service, and management resources, to meet account performance objectives and customers’ expectations.
- Maintain a close and effective working relationship with Brokerage partners; assist as required to develop and implement business plans for accounts that we manage.
- Maintain a close and effective working relationship with Crust Craft Executive Leadership Team. Regularly update them on progress with national accounts and seek their input and support for proposed initiatives.
- Work closely with the Marketing, Finance and Sales Operation teams to ensure that the quality and range of our products & services, prices, delivery standards, etc., meet or exceed customer expectations and Crust Craft profitability thresholds.
- Demonstrate the “Crust Craft Values” and support the “Crust Craft Strategic Plan” and “Mission”.
- Manage the opportunity pipeline effectively, identifying the biggest and most likely opportunities in the territory and spending time accordingly.
- Build effective proposals, based on customer needs, consumer insights and the customer’s decision criteria.
- Maintain a 3-month travel plan (updated monthly and approved by Executive Team) that outlines firm plans for the next month and tentative plans for the following 2 months.
- Make scheduled sales presentations with expected travel to approximate 30%.
- Assist with sales forecast on assigned accounts for purchasing and operations team.
- Work directly with the R&D, Quality and Marketing teams to successfully introduce new products and to execute formula and packaging improvements on existing items.
- Perform other related duties as assigned and requested.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- A Hunter’s disposition, competitiveness and desire to excel.
- Ability to adapt quickly in a fast, growing company.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results driven, team-oriented environment.
- Proven experience in customer and brokerage management and has market insights to maintain and develop improved sales strategies in Retail Bakery and Deli.
- Knowledge of food processing industry an asset.
- Demonstrated a record of success for 3+ years working with regional customers including contacts in the Retail Grocery chain space.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline. Business management, finance, marketing, MBA or related area are helpful for a prime Leadership path; however strong leadership and senior level experience are valued.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; formal presentation skills, effective organization ability, prioritization, attention to detail, accuracy, and planning principles are key.
- Enjoyed previous supervisory/management experience with enviable interpersonal skills to lead and develop members of a team.
- Potential to move across other functions of the team and/or organization (Category Leadership, Joint Business Planning, etc.).
You celebrate your success and the successes of your team even more!
- Have a head for numbers, a focus on the bigger picture and act as an inspirational and motivational leader.
- Excellent time management skills, well-organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through; able to work both in structured and planned environments and in situations where rapid response and instant decision-making are required.
- This is not a traditional sales role. We are searching for a candidate who shows a high level of ownership for this business and is adept at selling solutions and has a proven ability to win new business. We are seeking a candidate who is eager to be a leader, influencer and activator with internal and external key stakeholders from the first day on the job.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proven track record of leadership, taking initiative and delivering results.
- Ability to lead and facilitate key customer interactions
- Demonstrated success in managing and directing change across diverse groups, i.e.; customer, peer, manager.
- Ability to leverage experiences to lead individuals and teams; teach, coach, and motivate other members to improve performance with constructive feedback and by identifying development opportunities.
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of developing and maintaining key sales strategies.
- Proven critical thinking, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills to handle consumer concerns courteously and expeditiously.
- English language proficiency required, French or Spanish an asset.
- Strong PC proficiency to include Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- 30% (overnight, some week-end included initially but less when initial drive established).
- Clean driver’s license and passport required.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
Sandy Jacobson | T: 780.944.1327 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca