Manager, Conference Services
Current as of: February 06, 2018
Location/City: Olds, Albeta
Region: Olds Alberta
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Daryl Henry
Reporting to Director, Business Development, the incumbent is responsible for the administration of conference services for the College.
This position is responsible to:
- manage all aspects of conference services and the short-term stay accommodation program including administration, planning, marketing and staff supervision;
- develop and implement an effective marketing strategy that ensures minimum annual net revenue goal is met;
- maximise occupancy of available residence spaces;
- ensure appropriate budget and expenditure control in accordance with Departmental goals and the Colleges policies pertaining to cash handling and expenditure control; and
- ensure conference office and front counter is staffed adequately and provides appropriate and friendly customer service.
Nature and Scope
The Conference Centre offers an academic setting with comprehensive educational facilities and resources, plus a well-earned reputation for providing top-notch management and an emphasis on personalised service. Full conference planning services, lodging and quality food service are provided for many conferences per year.
Primarily, the position exists to manage day-to-day activity of the Conference Centre serving a broad range of customers from within and outside the College. The incumbent is required to collaborate with the Residence Managers and the Director, to determine suitable availability of accommodation, social and meeting space for conference delegates and hotel guests. A careful selection of accommodation is necessary to effectively match each guest’s needs and expectations with appropriate style and location of accommodation.
The department offers short-term accommodation to visitors. Throughout the year a choice of on campus fully furnished and equipped apartments are offered from one night to several months’ occupancy.
The incumbent must possess excellent communication and customer service skills; demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, supervise staff; demonstrated financial management and budget development skills; experience with strategic planning and marketing; ability to work under pressure; flexibility and adaptability. Overtime hours including evenings and weekends are required during the summer months.
- Ensure overall management of the Conference Services and short-term stay accommodation programs including scheduling, contracting, planning, promotion and operation of conferences, special events and workshops.
- Develop overall marketing and outreach plan. negotiates rental rate and guest rate agreements and any legal/liability issues. Ensures conference requirements are met. Advises customers on function planning and logistics.
- Develop, in collaboration with Director, Business Development, written materials in support of the Conference Services program including contracts, proposals, pamphlets, brochures, web pages and general forms.
- Prepare and monitor annual operating budget for Conference Services in accordance with the financial policies and procedures of the College’s Finance Department. Ensures minimum annual net revenue goal is met. Acts as a signing authority for Conference Centre budget unit.
- Establishes guest rates, conference planning fees and short-term stay accommodation fees, etc. Prepares weekly/monthly management reports of projected revenue and expenses
- .Perform accounting oversight (including individual project accounting). Track and monitor accounts receivable.
- Represents Conference Services of Old’s College with other related agencies, organizations and departments including: The town of Old’s, Chambers of Commerce, local tourism bureaus and the local community, Old’s College guests and other University/College academic and academic support departments.
- Responsible for recruitment, development, training and performance of full time and conference student staff.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
Daryl Henry | T: 403-718-5078 | E: email@example.com | www.richardsonsearch.ca