Director of Supply Chain and Operations
Current as of: October 11, 2018
Region: Calgary Area
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Daryl Henry
The Director of Supply Chain and Operations is responsible for the planning and execution of the company’s outsourced manufacturing operations and internal systems. The Director oversees scheduling, supply chain management, and production so-as to ensure the delivery of high-quality on-time products. A key member of the senior leadership team, the Director is expected to contribute to the company’s long-term growth by following a rigorous planning process to drive change for operational efficiencies and maximum ROI. At the same time, the Director will manage the transition from in-house manufacturing to an outsourced model, with increasing emphasis on supply-chain management and channel development.
For over 30 years, OPI has provided leading-edge grain management solutions to the worldwide marketplace. OPI has empowered over 25,000 farm and commercial customers in over 45 countries to effectively manage their grain in storage and prevent losses.
OPI is proud of the contributions it’s made to the agricultural industry in Canada and around the world in its 30-year history. Its ongoing commitment to advancing grain storage management has yielded numerous innovations to help farmers and agribusinesses protect and optimize the value of their stored grain assets. As a result, OPI has become the recognized world-leading supplier of grain storage management solutions—helping to secure the planet’s essential grain supply in an environmentally-friendly way through reduced energy consumption and spoilage losses.
Lead and manage operational planning for manufacturing & production including supply chain and inventory management, quality assurance and shipping and receiving
- Ensure manufacturing capabilities meet or exceed industry and customer requirements for quality, service levels, responsiveness and cost
- Oversee production and manufacturing
- Lead change management using advanced technology updates to yield rapid production increases and improve overall productivity
- Drive operational excellence utilizing LEAN, Six Sigma and current established methodologies
- Negotiate contracts and service level agreements for 3rd party supplies and or services
- Lead inventory planning personnel to minimize shortages and improve inventory holdings
- Build and develop the manufacturing leadership and support team through mentorship and development
Management leadership for Operations
- Oversee the use of and communication between backend office systems (CRM / Accounting / Visual) and Visual ERP
- Globally manage facility leases, safety, security, maintenance and repair, and vehicles
- Supervise Human Resource activities such as determining staffing requirements
- Support sales strategies and pricing through cost modeling, cost identification, customer and product demand analysis and reporting
- Review financial statements and sales and department reports
- Prepare plans and budgets with a keen eye on increasing margins by reducing production and operating costs
- Lead and manage office activities internal information systems, contract management, supply chain management, team building and corporate reporting
- Own product, capacity, quality, and escalations at the CM level and drive appropriate root cause countermeasures to fix the problem(s).
- Facilitate weekly, monthly and quarterly operating reviews to ensure adherence to key business metrics at the CM’s. Be able to drive improvements and maintain metrics for forecast accuracy, inventory valuation, capacity utilization and cost savings.
- Lead all process improvement activities across multiple CM’s to drive continuous improvement as it supports OPI’s business objective and corporate goals.
- Assist in the negotiation of supplier contracts or service arrangements.
Develop and execute business plans and strategies and responsibility for the P&L in support of the company mission, values, growth plan and vision in conjunction with the CEO and peers
- Analysis of areas requiring improvement to maximize efficiency, improve profitability, and evolve the organizations business model.
- Establish and implement departmental goals, procedures and policies that align with the growth plan and vision
- Determine organization’s operational needs
- Determine organizational change’s
Serve as a liaison between Operations, Sales and the Engineering/Technology Development departments
- A key participation at the leadership table. Working alongside your Technology and Sales & Marketing, and Customer Success counterparts to manage the organization
- Communicate with full transparency to the CEO
- MGS (Metronome Growth System) implementation; meeting rhythms
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing, Engineering, or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in an operations or manufacturing role with expanded responsibilities for ensuring efficient resource utilization, scheduling, unit production and supply chain management.
- Direct experience in outsourced manufacturing is preferred and 5+ years of coaching, mentoring and training staff at all levels for growth.
- 3 years of finance management principles with budgeting
- Training/Experience in Lean Manufacturing is highly desired
- Must have Six Sigma experience and PMP designation
- Experience with interacting with clients and outside vendors to support recurrent business
- Experience participating in resource planning, forecasting, and other production/planning initiatives.
- Ability to communicate clear, concise and professionally with clients and internal staff in both verbal and written format.
- High level of organizational skills.
- The ability to prioritize tasks and projects with little direction and supervision.
- Ability to multitask and assess, accept/make changes quickly to meet timelines.
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Effective business judgment and decision- making skills.
- Experience working with ERP systems.