Director of Distribution Filled
Current as of: September 20, 2018
Region: Edmonton Area
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Sandy Jacobson
DIRECTOR OF DISTRIBUTION
We have an excellent opportunity for a Director of Distribution to join one of Canada’s largest retailer of furniture, appliances, mattresses and electronics. Reporting directly to the Senior Director, Distribution, this position will be responsible for the maintenance and development of systems, procedures and processes for the operation and management of the Distribution Center, as well as human resources, equipment and inventory. The Director of Distribution will also be responsible for the integration and communication between the Distribution Center, Fleet Services, Inventory Management, Corporate Departments and over 48 retail locations.
THE TYPE OF PERSON WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a Director of Distribution that is a strong leader with a proven track record leading, coaching and building a succession plan for their team. They should also be able to work with a diverse group of people, and staff that have been with the organizations for years. Additional qualities also include someone that is patient, open, a strong communicator, driven, tenacious, hardworking, goal orientated and looking to build a long-term career with The Brick.
Established in 1971, The Brick has become Canada’s largest home furniture retailer. They are known for selling high-quality household furniture, mattresses, appliances and home electronics at great prices. Their head office is based in Edmonton, Alberta, and they operate more than 220 stores across Canada.
To learn more, visit their website at: www.thebrick.com
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develop, administer and be accountable for the annual DC operating budget.
- Speak to and provide monthly report on all operating variances.
- Responsible for the management, growth and success of over 100 employees that report to you directly or indirectly.
- Implement and manage a system of controls to ensure that service levels and operational performance levels are met or exceeded.
- Ensure that all talent management objectives are being met through performance management, talent reviews and development planning.
- Develop, maintain and continually update a 5-year Succession Plan.
- Manage relationships with key business partners including internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure daily operations meet all government standards for safety, maintenance, transportation and all other areas of compliance.
- Support quality control programs, strategies and initiatives that include auditing, compliance and training requirements.
- Develop improvements to processes and procedures to maximize productivity or efficiency.
- Ensure that health and safety, material handling and security policies and procedures are adhered to by all staff.
- Oversee the proper and thorough investigation of all incidents/accidents.
- Optimize all facility resources (staff, equipment, storage).
- Minimum 10 years of management or supervisory experience in a Distribution or Logistics environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; post-secondary education an asset.
- Significant experience (5+ years) with a large Warehouse Management System (WMS) in an inventory-controlled environment required.
- Previous experience with budgeting, forecasting and reviewing financial statements.
Knowledge and skills
- Proven Leadership Skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fully developed interpersonal skills and coaching skills.
- Superior planning and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Practical knowledge of materials handling equipment and safe material handling techniques.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
JOB REFERENCE NUMBER