Chief Executive Officer
Current as of: August 10, 2017
Region: Edmonton Area
Employer: Richardson Executive Search
Recruiter Name: Sandy Jacobson,
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Our Edmonton client, Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association (ARHCA) is currently seeking a new Chief Executive Officer. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to provide exceptional strategic and operational leadership to this renowned Association established in 1956. The successful incumbent will bring a resume illustrating progressive management experience and a demonstrated ability as a strategic visionary.
Alberta Roadbuilders and Heavy Construction Association (ARHCA) is the largest heavy construction association in Canada. The Association represents contractors working on the construction and rehabilitation of highways, industrial and commercial work, base and paving, bridges, grading, sewer and water projects, concrete work, highway maintenance, and as well as the suppliers (such as equipment dealers, finance companies, aggregate suppliers, law firms, etc.), and consulting engineers who work with them. The ARHCA is the advocate and liaison to all levels of government for 1000 corporate members in civil and heavy construction.
The CEO will direct the development of the Association’s strategic plan for Board approval and will develop, oversee and implement the supporting operational plans to execute the Association’s vision. The CEO guides the creation of the ARHCA work environment, and ensures that environment continues to be conducive to high individual and team performances in order to support the development and delivery of effective community programs and services. The expectation of the organization is to secure a CEO capable of ensuring the ARHCA meets or exceeds the needs of its constituency, thereby meeting or exceeding the strategic plan. This dynamic leader will cultivate and promote the exceptional culture of the ARHCA, and foster continued teamwork and innovation, while maintaining the quality and stability of the program and the organization.
Work to ensure positive representation of the Association to its stakeholders – both internal and external.The CEO will:
- Work to secure face-to-face meetings with government and develop a list of private stakeholders for presentation to the Board with a coordinating action plan.
- Successfully liaise with legislators and policymakers relying on the ARHCA for statistics and information.
- Foster an outward perspective on industry, economic, societal and global issues and bring forward those impacting the industry.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with the Board Chair, Directors, Committee Chair(s) and ensure meaningful stakeholder partnerships through transparency and strong communication.
- Be responsible for the financial performance of the organization and, as such, will oversee and monitor the Association’s finance and operations with respect to the approved budget.
- Lead the development of strategies for the ARHCA.
- Maximize productivity, revenue and member services.
- Serve as the “face” of the organization to local, provincial and national audiences.
- Examine gaps existing in current organizational portfolios in relation to the strategic plan, as well as the industry.
- Adequately prepare the Board through appropriate agendas, ensuring adequate discussion times and provision of supporting materials in advance of any Board Meetings.
- Aid the Board in formulation and development of policy and direction for implementation for the Association.
- Work to develop a strong understanding of the civil construction industry and monitor and report on developing trends.
- Internally driven to set and achieve established goals and capitalize on new and innovative thinking.
- Dynamic, flexible and strong listening skills.
- Collaborative leadership.
- A strategic thinker capable of exceptional communication and the ability to motivate others.
- Demonstrated business acumen.
- Leadership capable of successfully negotiating alignment with stakeholders in joint venture projects.
- 10+ years demonstrated senior level management experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated ability as a collaborative communicator, public speaker and presenter among diverse groups.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- A proven capacity for innovation, mentoring, coaching and teambuilding.
- Experience with fiscal oversight and responsibility.
- Post-Secondary Degree (Masters an asset). MBA preferred.
- Training in public policy, government relations and advocacy an asset.
- Strong commitment to ethical business practices.
- Ability to travel throughout Alberta as required (20-30%).
For more information, please contact: